Cinema Urania

Cinema Urania
cinema
Image by Truus, Bob & Jan too!
Budapest, Hungary

While the facade is in Venetian style, the interior is Moorish, orientalist. Urania was built by Henrik Schmall in the mid-1890s as a live theater for cabaret. In 1899 the theater was rented by the Urania Scientific Society for cinema shows. For 17 years the building had an educational role. In 1917 the interior was adapted for regular film shows. It became an UFA cinema in 1930 and in 1945 the first Hungarian postwar screening was held here. In 2002 the building was restored. It now projects mainly European art films. It hosts international and Hungarian film festivals. See also www.urania-nf.hu/history.php

Comments are closed.